View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

Hope for the Heart Part 11 - Watch Your Influence

by Gail Rodgers
Nancy smiled. The Bible verse caught her eye and she knew God wanted to help her in this area of her life. She was weary but she had no excuse for yelling at the kids they way she had. She apologized to them and they talked about some of the issues that had caused the friction in their home.

Nancy read the verse again,
“A soft answer turns away anger but harsh words stir it up.” (Proverbs 15:1)
She asked God to help her put the stirring spoon of harsh words and raised voice away. She asked for help to put a soft response in its place. She knew that also meant being firm at times but with a gentleness that God could help her have.
Have you been reacting to life’s pressures with the stirring spoon of harsh words, raised voice or angry tones? Think about what’s been happening in your week. God wants to help us move from “reacting” in our own lives and circumstances to “responding” in the character of Jesus.
We have the opportunity to influence those around us as we model how following Jesus makes a difference in our responses to stress and strife.
When we go to Jesus with the reactions in our lives that are abrasive and ask for His help, He will exchange them for His character qualities.
We influence as we walk. Turn your reactions into chosen responses by the power of the Holy Spirit. Tune up your influence today.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
All too often I react with the stirring spoon of harsh words when You want to help me to have a soft response. Please help me to be ready with gentle responses rather than harsh reactions as I journey through my day. Help me to be aware of how easily strife is stirred up. Fill me with power by Your Holy Spirit to respond to my daily circumstances with Your grace and love.
I thank you and I ask this in the powerful name of Jesus, Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: